Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov
Phone: 00359 2 962 04 47; GSM 00359885170296
Biodiversity in forest tree species, forest genetic resources and methods for their preservation; genetic and physiological characteristics of forest trees and shrubs; bioenergetics of ecosystems and plant species; biology of the reproductive process and micropropagation of forest tree species; green technology for production of high-quality wood and biomass for improvement of environment and landscape.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov – Head of the department [CV]
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Veselka Gyuleva [CV]
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Alexander Delkov [CV]
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivaylo Tsvetkov [CV]
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Tatiana Stankova [CV]
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Maria Glushkova [CV]
Chief assistant Dr. Proletka Dimitrova [CV]
Chief assistant Dr. Vania Kachova [CV]
Eng. Dr. Mira Georgieva
Assistant Georgi Georgiev [CV]
Aneliya Dimitrova – PhD student
Agr. Penka Stefanova [CV]
Dimitar Boyadjiev – gardener
PhD Student Aneliya Dimitrova, thesis title: “Establishment and cultivation of willows energy plantations (Salix viminalis var.rubra) in Bulgaria” Scientific consultants: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kancho Kalmuckov, Assoc. Prof.Dr. Veselka Gyuleva
PhD Student Elena Nedkova, thesis title: “Ex situ preservation of forest genetic resources in experimental area Yasenkovo and Govedartsi, scientific supervisor Acad. A. Alexandrov
• 2013-2016: Green technologies for high quality timber production, for improvement of the environment and the landscape – scientific and applied aspects. Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, coordinator Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov and 10 participants with individual projects.
• 2012-2014: Comprehensive assessment of forest and agricultural species for establishment of energy crops in Bulgaria – Contract DFNI-E01/6, dated 30.11.2012, Project leader: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Veselka Gyuleva
• 2013 – 2015: Establishment of experimental plantation from perspective poplar clones (Populus sp.) for comprehensive assessment of their potential for biomass production. Executive Forest Agency, Contract 108 from 24/10/ 2013 г. Project leader: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivaylo Tsvetkov
• 2012-2014: Morphplogical and physiological investigations in short rotation plantations for biomass production by fast growing forest trees, Contact 234, dated 14.11.2012, Project leader Assoc. Prof. Dr. Veselka Gyuleva
• 2011-2013: Natura 2000: Mapping and Identification of the Conservation Status of Natural Habitats and Species – Phase I (BG and EU-funded, coordinator – V. Dimitrova) and Phase V (Coordinator: Ministry of Environmental and Waters).
• 2012 – 2015: Advanced multifunctional forest management in European mountain ranges (ARANGE) – KBBE.2011.1.2-07. 7 FP, «Co-operation», Ref. № 289437. Project leader: Prof. Manfred Lexer, BOKU, Austria; Project leader for FRI – BAS: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Tzvetan Zlatanov
• 2012 – 2014: Simulation of the behavior of forest and field fires.National Science Fund – Ministry of Education, Youth and Science, 2012 – 2014. Contract № ДФНИ- И01/0006 from 28.11.2012. Project leader: Assoc. Prof. Pencho Marinov, Institute of information and communication technologies; Project leader for FRI of BAS: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emilia Velizarova.
• 2011: 7 FP-EU (FP7-KBBE-2011) „Towards the Sustainable Management of Forest GeneticResources in Europe (FORGER), subcontract: Historic supply of forest reproductive material whith special emphasis on the transfer in Europe”. Regional coordinator for Romania, Moldova, and Bulgaria: Dr. Georgeta Mihai – Forest Research and Management Institute (ICAS) – Romania. Participants from Bulgaria: academician A. Alexandrov and co-author sen. res. DSci R.Dobrev.
• 2010-2014: Genetic resources of forest tree species in Europe EUFORGEN phase IV (2010-2014). Coordinator: Dr. Jarko Koskela (EUFORGEN); National coordinator for Bulgaria: Acad. A. Alexandrov and co-author Sen. Res. DSci R.Dobrev.
• 2010-2013: The State of the World’s Forest Genetic Resources – FAO, Bulgaria. Coordinator: Dr. Dr. O.Souvannavong – FAO; National coordinator for Bulgaria: Acad. A. Alexandrov and co-author Sen. Res. DSci R.Dobrev.
• 2010-2012: Genetic resources of economically important native and introduced forest tree species with coordinator Sen. Res. D.Sci. Rumen Dobrev and 10 participants with individual projects.
• 2009 – 2011: Elaboration of advanced-level models for density management of coniferous and broadleaved even-aged natural stands and plantations in Europe – EurSDMDPineBirchOak. Intra-European Fellowship “Marie Curie”, 7 FP, «People», Ref. № PIEF-GA-235039. University of Santiago de Compostela (USC), Spain. Project leader: Assoc. Prof. Ulises Diéguez Aranda, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, Research fellow: Dr. Tatiana Stankova, Forest Research Institute of BAS.
• 2009-2011: Study on Growth, Productivity and Phenotypic Characteristics of Trees in a Douglas- fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) Provenance Experiment in State Forestry Kostenets for Determining Prospective Provenances for Afforestation Practice and Substantiation and Marking Thinning. Assigned by Executive Forest Agency, Project leader Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov
• 2010-2011: Establishment and observations of the experimental plots of Paulownia, Populus I-214 and Robinia pseudoacacia for biomass production, Contract 115, dated 26.08.2010, Project leader Assoc. Prof. Dr. Veselka Gyuleva
• 2009-2012: Genetic characterisation and nut quality assessment of chestnut (Castanea sativa Mill.) populations, Project Coordinator Assist. Prof. Dr. Maria Glushkova, financed by Ministry of Education, Youth and Science.
• 2008 – 2011: Assessment of sylvicultural, morphological and biochemical characteristics of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco) for creation of intensive plantations and biodiversity protection. Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Belorussian National Academy of Sciences, Project Leader: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov).
• 2008-2010: Restoration of mountain forest ecosystems after anthropogenic impact, Project leader: Acad. Alexander Alexandrov, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Mongolian Academy of Sciences
• 2007-2010: Establishment of geographical plantations of Paulownia elongata hybrids in Bulgaria, propagated in vitro, for the further investigations of their growth capacity in different parts in Bulgaria, Contract 37, dated 03.12.2007, Project leader Assoc. Prof. Dr. Veselka Gyuleva.
• 2007 – 2009: Adaptability of forest tree species at climatic changes. Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, coordinator Acad. Alexander Alexandrov and 10 participants with individual projects.
• 2007-2009: Investigation on the genetic resources of Quercus petrea Liebl., Quercus robur L and Quercus pubescens Willd.in South-eastern Europe. Bulgaria – Moldova Bilateral project, Project coordinators: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Konstantin Genov, Dr. George Postolake
• 2003 – 2007: Densities of establishment and management of pine plantations on forest sites. Sylvica Foundation – Bulgarian-Swiss Forestry Programme, 2003 – 2007. Project leader: Researcher Tatiana Stankova.
• 2003–2007: Douglas-Fir [Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco] in Bulgaria – Growth, Status and Perspectives. Assigned by National Scientific Fund. Contract Nr.СС-1302, project leader Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov
• 2002 – 2004: Investigation on naturally sustainable ways to control the density at establishment and management of Scotch pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) plantations in Rila mountain. National Science Fund – Ministry of Education, Youth and Science, Project leader: Researcher Tatiana Stankova.
European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) Actions:
• 2014-2018: FPS COST Action FP1403 Non-native tree species for european forests – experiences, risks and opportunities (NNEXT), MC Member Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emil Popov
• 2014-2018: Action FA1306, The quest for tolerant varieties – Phenotyping at plant and cellular level, MC Member Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivaylo Tsvetkov
• 2012-2016: COST Action FP 1103 Fraxinus dieback in Europe: elaborating guidelines and strategies for sustainable management (FRAXBACK), MC Member Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivaylo Tsvetkov
• 2012-2016: FPS COST Action FP1202, Strengthening conservation: a key issue for adaptation of marginal/peripheral populations of forest trees to climate change in Europe (MaP-FGR), MC Member Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivaylo Tsvetkov
• 2010-2014: FPS COST Action FP0905 Biosafety of forest transgenic trees: improving the scientific basis for safe tree development and implementation of EU policy directives, MC Member Acad. Alexander Alexandrov, MC Member Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ivaylo Tsvetkov
• 2009-2013: FPS COST Action FP0903, Climate Change and Forest Mitigation and Adaptation in a Polluted Environment (MAFor), MC Member Assist. Prof. Dr. Maria Glushkova.
• 2008-2012: FPS COST Action FP0703, Expected Climate Change and Options for European Silviculture (ECHOES), MC Member Acad. Alexander Alexandrov
• 2006-2010: FPS COST Action E52, Evaluation of Beech Genetic Resources for Sustainable Forestry, MC Member Acad. Alexander Alexandrov